Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pumpkins - Day 8

Math-Pumpkin Patch Subtraction

I found this poem at the following website: http://www.preschoolexpress.com.

You can use the little Brach's pumpkins for this, or a felt board like they suggest. We don't have a felt board so we're sticking to the candy!

FOUR LITTLE PUMPKINS
Four little pumpkins
I can see.
______picked one
That left three.

Three little pumpkins
With nothing to do.
______ picked one
And that left two.

Two little pumpkins
Out in the sun.
______ picked one
And that left one.

One little pumpkin
All alone.
It looked lonely
So I took it home. Jean Warren

L.A. - Alphabet

This really has nothing to do with pumpkins but I've been wanting to do this for a while and today's the day! When I subbed in a kindergarten room we helped the kids learn their letters with flash cards. As I've said in the past, I'm not a huge fan of flash cards because I love active learning, but flashcards can be useful every now and then. I'm going to find pictures on the web and make my own set to practice with my preschooler. She is starting to take in interest in learning the alphabet and the sounds the letters make, so that's why I'm choosing to do this now. Here's an example of the type of set I'm making:

A - apple
B - boy
C - cat
D - dog
E - elephant
F - fish
G - girl
h - hat
i - igloo
j - jump
k - kite
l- lion
m - mouse
n - needle
o - octopus
p - pear
q - quilt
r - rabbit
s - snake
t - tiger
u - umbrella
v - violin
x - x-ray
y - yo-yo
z - zebra

It is helpful to do different motions with some of the letters such as pretend to sew for "n for needle," and really jump for "j" for jump.

The way the kids learned the letters were by saying "A for apple, a for apple, ahh, ahh, ahh" (the last part is to say the sound the letter makes). Another example would be "B for boy, b for boy, buh, buh, buh."

I would recommend that you find out which type of alphabet flash cards your child's school disctrict will use, because it may be difficult to learn one whole set and then switch to another when they start school. If your child is use to saying "b for boy" and the school says "b for bear" it might make them a little confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment