Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkins-Day 3




L.A.- "The Pumpkin"

I want to work on some basic sight words with Lily, and the best way to teach her sight words is to read them in the context of a story. I'm not a huge fan of flash cards. I think they are fine on occasion, but I definitely prefer teaching new words through actually reading stories. I decided to write a simple little story about a farmer growing a pumpkin to go along with our economics unit.

First, I cut four sheets of printer paper (8.5 in x 11 in.) in half. Then I stacked them on top of each other, folded them in half, and then stapled in the fold.

Here's what I wrote-you can change it to suit your child's needs:

Title "The Pumpkin"
Page 1 - blank
Page 2 - The farmer plants a seed.
Page 3 - Look! It is raining!
Page 4 - The seed sprouts.
Page 5 - The little plant grows.
Page 6 - Look! A little pumpkin is there.
Page 7 - It rains on the pumpkin.
Page 8 - The sun shines on the pumpkin.
Page 9 - The pumpkin is not little now.
Page 10- The pumpkin is big and orange.
Page 11- The farmer picks the pumpkin.
Page 12- We go to the pumpkin farm.
Page 13- We buy the pumpkin.
Page 14- We make pumpkin pie!

I highlighted the preschool Dolche words in the book (Dolche words are a basic list of sight words). We will read this book multiple times. I have Lily point to each word as we read. The illustrations are also key to helping her figure out the words on the page, so take care to match the illustrations with the words.

Here is a list of preschool Dolche words I found on the internet:

a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you.


Math- Pumpkin Face!




Lily is doing fairly well with measurement so we're going to take a little break and go back to reviewing shapes.

I saw in a magazine that one mom took magnetic sheets and cut out black triangles, rectangles, squares and circles, and then let her child use them to decorate a pumpkin that she taped to the refrigerator. While your child plays with the shapes and makes different pumpkin faces you can talk with them about the different shapes. Make sure to keep these away from curious babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment