Monday, November 8, 2010

November - Week Two - Day 1

Today was a really fun learning day!

Art/Language Arts



I cut out two turkeys from thick paper and Lily helped me glue on the eyes, legs and beak. I cut out a variety of "feathers" in different colors. I asked Lily to tell me one thing she is grateful for. She said "crayons" so I wrote it on a feather and glued the feather to the turkey. We are going to continue this activity for at least a week, gluing on one feather per day and writing what she is thankful for on that feather.

I wrote her name, the date, and her age on the back of her turkey. I'm planning on keeping this for a decoration for future Thanksgivings!

Math



I want Lily to start learning to read her numbers while she's counting so I decided to write the numbers 1-12 on the inside of muffin papers and then to draw the corresponding number of dots inside the papers. For example, on the first muffin paper I wrote "1" and then drew one dot. I put the papers in a muffin tin. Lily's job was to fill each of the 12 tins with the right number of beads. So for the first tin she saw the number "1" and one dot, so she knew to put in one bead. I really had to help her with this activity. I think after a while she will do just fine on her own, but for now be ready to provide lots of support!

Language Arts - continued



Lily is doing a great job learning her letters so I decided to add the letter "G" for "grateful" this week.

We made a "sound basket" and searched her playroom for objects to place inside the basket. We found grapes, a girl doll, a goat puzzle piece, a green crayon, a photo of Grandma, and more. She really liked looking for all of the objects.

We also practiced writing the letter "G."

No comments:

Post a Comment